Thursday 1 December 2016

Then and Now

I find it interesting to look back and see how my style (and hopefully skill) has changed since I started blogging my creations and so today I'm showcasing my sample for the 'Before and After' challenge which starts at Squirrel's Not So Random Challenge where we are revisiting one of our earliest images and creating something new with it for comparison.

I looked back at my earliest cards and an image from Penny Black called Snowball Fun was one of my first.  I've dusted it off for another outing for my sample and watercoloured it with reinkers.  I've kept the layout clean and simple with a typed / die cut combo sentiment and a pelmet of designer papers die cut with a stitched curve.

So here's my new version.....


.... and below, (said in a quiet voice) is its first inking, dated October 2010!  





Some things remain the same; I still like trios of pearls (although didn't add any on this card to keep it flat), I still like a splattering of glitter at Christmas, and yes, I still love purple.

But there are also some areas where I think my style has changed too, such as I don't believe I had invested in a die cutter back in 2010 so the corners were shaped with a punch.  Seeing the two cards in close proximity above also does make me believe that my colouring and shading has improved too, with more depth added to the colours.

I also think that my photography skills have improved, both in terms of lighting and staging, to showcase the projects better.

I hope you like this challenge and will join in to share your 'then and now' creations.


Card Recipe:
Original card: blogged October 2010

I've been inspired by:
Happy crafting
Annette
xx




6 comments:

Christine L said...

Wow - what a difference!! Your 'now' card is of course, fabulous and you've moved on so much! When I look at some of my older ones I see such a difference.. and I think my Cuttlebug is probably the best buy I ever made!!

Christine x

Sarah said...

What a difference six years Makes!! A brilliant stamp to make the comparison and I would never have picked the oldie out in a line up!! xx

Carol S. said...

The difference is amazing. You would not think they were done by the same person. So I think it is fair to say that you have not just improved, you have now reached perfection. Hugs, Carol S.xx

Caryn said...

Such a cute card - love the colouring on your image.
Thanks for playing along at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
Hugs,
Caryn xxx

Cass said...

Super cute card. Thanks for joining us at Sweet Stampin'
Cass xx

rosie said...

super image. so cute. love how you have shown your earlier card. what a difference x